I love the cranberries. I love the tartness and I love the association with Christmas. These muffins are beautiful; they are lightly spiced and both sweet and tart. I have to say I did improvise a bit with this recipe as I couldn’t find half the ingredients and the measurements were in American cups. Anyhow, I think I got lucky because I can’t stop eating them!
110g sunflower oil
225g apples peeled and cored (I used Braeburn apples)
1 piece of pared lemon peel
juice of half a lemon
½ teaspoon cinnamon
200g soft brown sugar
50g date syrup (you could just add more sugar)
zest of an orange
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
225g whole wheat self raising flour
65g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
200g fresh or frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 180°c/160°c/gas 4 and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
- Make the apple sauce by cutting up the apples into small chunks and putting them in a small saucepan. Add the lemon juice, peel, cinnamon and a little water and cook for about 15 minutes on a low heat. When the apples have cooked through, take out the lemon peel and mash up the apples with the back of a fork.
- Add the applesauce, sugar, syrup, eggs, orange zest and vanilla extract into the bowl of a free-standing mixer and mix on a medium speed until smooth.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: both flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix until combined.
- Use a rubber spatula to add the cranberries, leaving a few to put on top of the muffins.
- Fill each of the muffin cases 3/4 full and decorate with the remaining cranberries and a sprinkle of the brown sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.