I really loved the pistachio gelato I made a while back and was keen to make the most of my new ice cream maker. I can’t remember exactly how this recipe from https://www.snixykitchen.com/honeylemon-thyme-ricotta-ice-cream-with-vanilla-peaches/ came across my radar, but I do remember that it stuck in my mind as something I had to make. I’m a huge fan of using herbs in sweet food and I particularly like lemon thyme. When I was in Florence, as well as indulging in pistachio gelato, I had pear and ricotta gelato which was delicious.
This is a really special ice-cream, its not very sweet and has a savoury tang. When combined with the sweet juicy vanilla peaches, it is sensational.
- 130 ml whole milk
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 95ml whipping cream
- 4-6 sprigs fresh lemon thyme (or regular thyme works too!)
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped or 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 30g honey
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 340g ricotta
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky salt
- 3 medium peaches
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped, or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Whisk the corn starch in a small bowl with about 3 tablespoons of the milk to make smooth slurry. Set aside.
- Bring remaining 95g + 1 tablespoon whole milk and whipping cream to boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat add the fresh thyme and vanilla bean seeds and pod (or essence), cover, and let steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain the milk into a heat proof bowl to remove the thyme and vanilla bean. Scrape the inside of the warm vanilla bean into the milk and cream. Return the steeped milk and cream to the saucepan.
- Give the corn starch slurry one last whisk to make sure it’s completely incorporated. Slowly whisk the corn starch slurry into the milk and cream saucepan and bring it back to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook, stirring, until it thickens about 1 minute.
- Pour in the honey and sugar, stirring just until it dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice cubes and water.
- Add the honeyed milk to a blender or food processor with fresh ricotta, cream cheese, and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the ice cream base into a large Ziploc bag. Seal it and submerge the mixture in the ice bath until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions and freeze overnight.
- Serve with warm vanilla peaches.
- Peel the peaches. Either do this with a vegetable peeler or blanch the peaches in boiling water for 20 seconds, dunk them in an ice bath, and slide the skin off. Slice into 8-12 wedges.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the peaches, honey, and vanilla bean scrapings. Cook just until the honey melts and the peaches begin to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold over scoops of ice cream.